[CMake] Re: Patch to apply! Changing the default name"CMakeLists.txt"! Introduction to "Common Build System"

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue Jan 15 19:51:17 EST 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Brad King wrote:
> Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:
> > Bill Hoffman wrote:
> >> Something like this:
> >>
> >> find_package(bar REQUIRED)
> >> add_executable(foo foo.cxx)
> >> target_link_libraries(foo bar)
> >
> > This would be GREAT! What is the status on this one? Is it ready waiting
> > for testing or you are still developing it? I could use this right now.
> > Thank you very much for this feature...
>
> It's still under development.  I'm working on major improvements to
> find_package right now.  Next I need to do some link computation work to
> support "imported" library targets which will make the above possible.
> I'm hoping to get these two steps done for the 2.6 release.

I'm still think it might be a good idea to add a new command additionally to
target_link_libraries() for that, like e.g.
target_use_package(foo bar)

because in the example above the same syntax is used as with current cmake but
much more happens. A new command name for that would make it easier for
somebody who knows cmake to see that here something different is going on.

Bye
Alex