[CMake] Patch to apply! Changing the default name"CMakeLists.txt"!

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:42:25 EST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 12:16 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
>

> > Example: I have a legacy handwritten GMake client.mk that acquires the
> > build tree from CVS before the main Autoconf generated Makefile is
> > run.  The tree is grabbed from CVS and built by typing "make -f
> > client.mk".  The simplest translation to a CMake system would be
> > "cmake -f client.txt".  Nobody would be doing a different drill, the
> > client would perceive this as nice, to not have to learn much of
> > anything different.  Once the build tree has been acquired, we don't
> > need client.mk anymore.  The equivalent of Autoconf's Makefile should
> > always be CMakeLists.txt.
> >

> But that is not all the patch does.
>
> If you do cmake -f client.txt, then every add_subdirectory and subdirs
> will now look for client.txt.

I don't want that.  I have trouble seeing sense in that, as I think
system differences should be handled with if(APPLE) and so forth, not
separate files.  Martin could try to explain.

> And,
> cmake -f client.txt would not be the same thing as make -f client.mk, as
> make -f client.mk would actually do a build.
> For the cmake, one you
> would have cmake -f client.txt, make (with no -f).

Hm.  I guess what *I* need is a way to output a different Makefile
name.  Oh well, back to the drawing board.  I wonder what Autoconf
does?  Or I could translate client.mk to client.txt and make people
type cmake -P client.txt.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every