[CMake] Re: Migration to subversion

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at lindenlab.com
Fri Jan 4 16:11:34 EST 2008

Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> However, I admit to having no development experience with git or Mercurial.
> Is there anything compelling (e.g., fewer bugs, better documentation, more
> useful features aside from distributed?) about either over svn for
> projects like CMake that use a centralized repo?

A significant difference is completely offline operation.  With a
centralised tool, by definition you can't commit if you're not on the
network.  With a distributed tool, committing changes is decoupled from
sharing them.

As you surmise, you can agree to use a central repository with a
distributed tool, but it's a matter of preference and convention, not
something forced upon you by the tool designers.

	<b