[CMake] General questions

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Feb 25 13:48:43 EST 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008, Yang Zhang wrote:
> Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 24 Februar 2008 schrieb Yang Zhang:
> >> I understand your point, but support for cmake is not as ubiquitous as
> >> it is for autotools. For instance, a cross-platform build system I'm
> >> using (a bitbake/openembedded derivative) does not support cmake. As
> >> another example, a tool I use for best-effort management of software
> >> packages (http://toastball.net/toast/) does not support cmake.
> >
> > If it is derived from bitbake, why is it inferior to it? Bitbake supports
> > any kind of build method, not just autotools.
> >
> > HS
>
> Yes, I could add a cmake-handling base script for bitbake; similarly, I
> could modify `toast` to work with cmake. My point is that support for
> cmake is not as ubiquitous as support for autotools.

Well, cmake doesn't create autotools projects and never will. It replaces them
and I guess most people who are using cmake are very happy about that.
If bitbake/openembedded doesn't support cmake yet, either
-wait until it does (shouldn't be too long, considering the growth of cmake)
OR
-add support for cmake to bitbake (-> better option, you'll have it within a
few days/weeks)

Alex