[CMake] CMake and Lua

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:10:38 EST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM, E. Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/24/08, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > So are you going to write this framework for us, that makes all the
>  > work of supporting multiple languages magically go away?
>
>  If you bothered actually reading my comments, you might have noticed
>  the paragraph where I said it's not immediately obvious how to
>  refactor these things. But by finishing the Lua integration, I believe
>  there is a chance this will become more clear, and one of two things
>  will happen. 1) It becomes obvious how to refactor things so people
>  can write their own language bridges. 2) It becomes obvious
>  refactoring is not so easy, and the way to bridge is directly through
>  the Lua runtime, similar to how Obj-C/Cocoa is bridged.

It's lotsa extra work to support lotsa extra languages.  We've all got
things to do, we're not made of time and money.  Selling people on a
Lua migration is difficult enough as it is.  Why don't you concentrate
on *that* agenda, before bothering with even loftier stuff?

>  > > People who want
>  > > to use CMake (the project generator) should be able to decide for
>  > > themselves what language they want to write in.
>  >
>  > No they shouldn't. They can pay for that kind of support.
>
>  That's a nonsensical statement to me.

The point is, they can either implement the multi-language support
themselves, or pay people to implement it for them.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every