[CMake] Getting rid of unwanted quotes that CMake inserts into commands

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Dec 2 11:02:41 EST 2008

Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> Shouldn't that be up to the user to insert quotes where needed in the
> command rather than CMake anticipating their needs (incorrectly in this
> case)?

Every make's shell requires different escapes.  The VERBATIM option was
*added* to help users get the same custom command run on all platforms.
 The term 'verbatim' refers to making the argv[] array in the executed
process look exactly like the arguments passed to the cmake command that
runs it.  Shell syntax is an exception I added.

The non-VERBATIM mode behaves exactly as you request.  The arguments to
the cmake command are put on the command line with space-separation only.

-Brad