[CMake] cmake vista tutorial?

Craig Miller craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Thu Aug 28 00:10:46 EDT 2008

I've read good things about cmake and would like to start using it.  I spent
the afternoon reading the online tutorials and trying to get a simple hello
world c++ project setup and running.  I started with the documentation at
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Documentation.html and first followed the
"Installing CMake" tutorial which was straight forward enough.  I then tried
following the "Running CMake" tutorial and things started falling apart.
There seemed to be a number of mandatory steps missing from the tutorial.
Before I throw in the towel, is there a recent tutorial that walks through
setting up an entire project from beginning to end using the latest cmake
and running under Vista(VS 2005 via nmake)?

As I know some will ask, a few of the items that weren't addressed in the
tutorial included:

-          Instructions to run the CMakeSetup.exe w/o having first created
the CMakeLists.txt file in the src directory.

-          No mention that CMake must be run in an environment where the
Visual Studio vcvars.bat has been executed (which isn't likely if you are
running the GUI from the start menu).

-          No mention of security issues related to Vista.  After attempting
to run several programs as Administrator and still failing, I gave up after
spending a fair amount of time w/ google looking for answers.  Vista seems
to be introducing the most problems as a result of improved security.

Any links to recent tutorials would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Craig