[CMake] KDE3 package forces -Wall flag

Alexander Thomas alexander.thomas at esat.kuleuven.be
Wed Aug 13 06:18:35 EDT 2008

I'm working on a project that uses Qt3, and for some reason, the "-Wall"
flag is automatically appended when the following line occurs in
CMakeLists.txt:
   find_package(KDE3 REQUIRED)

Normally I write my code such that no warnings show up even with "-Wall"
enabled. However, the majority of this source code was written by
someone else who consistently mixes signed and unsigned variables. With
GCC 4.3, a new warning has popped up about conversion between integers
and floats etc, and the source code is also riddled with those.

So when I compile this project, the console is completely spammed with
warnings, making it hard to spot the real important warnings and even
errors.

I already tried adding -Wno-sign-compare etc. to the CMAKE_C_FLAGS while
configuring the build in ccmake. I would expect any flags defined there
to be appended at the very end of the compiler flags, but they aren't.
The -Wall flag comes after them in the Makefiles.
The only solution is to put these extra flags in the CMakeLists.txt file
itself, using "SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS ...)". This is of course an ugly
solution. Is there a way to prevent KDE3 from appending the -Wall flag
altogether?

Alexander