[CMake] Possible change in Modules/readme.txt: XXX_EXECUTABLE_DIR or XXX_ROOT_DIR

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Sat Oct 20 18:54:12 EDT 2007

Hello,

In a previous thread discussion
(http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2007-October/017020.html) the
following issue arose and I'm asking this as a separate thread so it
can be noticed; as suggested by Alex.

There is a variable that I'm using named ImageMagick_EXECUTABLE_DIR.
Initially I thought I should use ImageMagick_ROOT_DIR, but then I
thought it could be misleading.

When searching for a collection of utilities, such as ImageMagick's
command-line executables or LaTeX set of binaries, it is often the
case that you want to find the dir that contains this collection. I
think this variable should be named XXX_EXECUTABLE_DIR.

I don't think I should reuse the XXX_ROOT_DIR, because it can be
misleading. For example, my first guess would associate the following
in my windows installation:

CMake_ROOT_DIR : C:/Program Files/CMake
CMake_EXECUTABLE_DIR: C:/Program Files/CMake/bin

If this makes sense (nobody objects to my philosophical analysis ;) ),
then I will add the variable to the Modules/readme.txt as it is
missing.

--Miguel