[CMake] CMake with Lua Experiment

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Nov 28 13:28:29 EST 2007

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 3:17 AM, E. Wing <ewmailing at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Right now I think it's just an experiment to see how things might
> > work, how much effort would be involved, and how much of an impedance
> > mismatch there will be with how things are currently done. It sounds
> > like things may not progress any further unless a real long term
> > vision for CMake is developed and embraced.
>
> Gee you want one of those?  :-)  Here's one: happy, shiny programmers
> using a happy, shiny, fullblown programming language to implement
> entire build systems

I for one really don't want that.
I don't want a full blown programming language in my build scripts. I don't
want to understand actual programs when looking at build files. IMO it is ok
that the cmake language is limited, this way you don't end up with programs
as build files.
This is what can happen if you use scons, then you have programs as build
scripts. And everybody can program something more fancy. IMO this is wrong
for a build system.

Still having some type of variable scoping would be nice to have :-)

Alex