[CMake] CMake with Lua Experiment

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Nov 28 02:47:22 EST 2007

Quoting Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com>:

> On Nov 28, 2007 1:16 AM, Sebastien BARRE <sebastien.barre at kitware.com> wrote:

>> >- popularity boost for 5 years
>>
>> woot?
>
> Nobody cares about CMake script.  Losta people care about Lua.

People are assuming stock Lua would be used but I am not so sure about
that. I guess it would actually be a domain-specific language based on
Lua: some specific commands and constructs would be needed (sure, they
would be implemented in Lua or whatever, but you would need to
document that).

As "DSL based on Lua" != Lua, assuming Kitware gets rid of
documentation and bugs in the language might be too optimistic. Look
for example at RHDL (http://rhdl.rubyforge.org/): it's a Ruby-based
DSL for hardware description, like Verilog or VHDL, but it's so
different from Ruby you need to produce the whole documentation again.

Talking about Ruby, could someone please paste his wishlist about
variable scoping for CMake? (ie what would you like to add: local
variables which die when you exit the loop, file-scoped variables,
directory-scoped variables, project-scoped variables, what?). It's
quite difficult to fix a problem we have not properly defined (at
least, I have never seen a proper wishlist about this).

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org