[CMake] CMake with Lua Experiment

Juan Sanchez Juan.Sanchez at amd.com
Tue Nov 27 16:02:08 EST 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 3:22 PM, Juan Sanchez <Juan.Sanchez at amd.com> wrote:
>> How about?
>>
>> cm_add_library{"simpleLib STATIC simpleLib.cxx simpleCLib.c simpleWe.cpp"}
>
> That paradigm is crippled with respect to FOREACH and LIST style
> processing.  I can't really see everyone on the CMake script side of
> things doing it one way, and the Lua side of things doing it another
> way.  Plus it doesn't help for strings within strings.
>
> I'm starting to realize that general purpose programming languages
> don't care about ease of string entry.  Whereas shell / make / build
> tools have a history of making strings easy at the expense of other
> programming constructs.

The reason I suggested Tcl was it makes strings easy.  Most everything
is a string in Tcl.  There are also no commas, parenthesis, or quotation
marks.  Everyone hates Tcl, and I accept that.

For those of you who don't know enough about Tcl to hate it, please
check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tcl#Syntax

My only desire is that we move on to another language better than the
one we have now.  Lua seems to fit the bill.

Juan