[CMake] Using gmake with windows CL compiler?

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Nov 21 11:56:27 EST 2007

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Daniel wrote:
> > On Nov 21, 2007 8:58 AM, Josef Karthauser <joe.karthauser at geomerics.com>
wrote:
> >> Does anyone here have gnumake working with the windows CL compiler?
> >> We're using nmake targets, and I tried instead to use gmake, however
> >> there were lots of problems due to backslashes instead of slashes, etc.
> >>  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has got this working.
> >
> > The mailing list archives say don't use Cygwin gmake for this.
> > http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-August/010617.html
>
> I've done it, just make sure you are using MinGW GNU Make and not Cygwin
> GNU Make.  Also you will eventually run into the command line that is too
> log bug, since GNU Make can't use response files like NMake can.  It might
> also be important what SHELL is set too.  Use the "MinGW Makefiles"
> generator. --

You can also use the GNU make included here:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
This is really just a (small) set of unix tools running natively under
Windows, using native Windows paths, etc. IMO this is the easiest way to get
GNU make for Windows.

Don't use the GNU make for Windows at steve.org.uk, this is an old and buggy
version (although it is the first result on google).

Bye
Alex