[CMake] QtDialog isn't installed?

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:41:49 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 1:33 PM, Daniel <daniel at connect2.com> wrote:

> Since Debian distributes binaries, which would be linked against GPL'ed Qt,
> normally they wouldn't be able to distribute QtDialog with any license other
> than the GPL.  Luckily there is an exception in Qt's license that allows the GPL
> version to link against BSD licensed code.  So I think Debian will have no
> problem distributing QtDialog, and I don't even see why you would need a
> commercial license to work on it.
>
> http://trolltech.com/products/qt/gplexception

I didn't see that previously.  Qt licensing history is complex and tumultuous!

I would point out that technically, CMake's license is not on the
list.  CMake is not BSD licensed: it has a 4th clause that you must
plainly mark modified source code as such.
http://cmake.org/HTML/Copyright.html  However, it's essentially a
zlib/libpng clause, and zlib/libpng is on Qt's approved list, so I
can't imagine anyone objecting in the real world.    Or in a court,
for that matter, as Kitware meets all the corporate governance
requirements of the exception.  Still, it may be worth getting CMake's
license added to that list of license exceptions.

I think in the real world, Kitware can distribute QtDialog under
CMake's license, and Linux distro gatekeepers won't object.

Of course, that's what *Kitware* can do.  A 3rd party who takes the
QtDialog code and does something with it, could get themselves in
trouble by not fulfilling the corporate governance conditions of the
Qt GPL Exception.  But that's really their problem.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every