[CMake] Ada support

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Nov 14 02:47:54 EST 2007

On 2007-11-13 21:52+0100 Alexander Camek wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> [asked by Alexander Camek]
>>> is there still the plan to use Ada with CMake?
>> [answered by Alexander Neundorf]
>> More or less, yes. Alan, what the current state ?

The PLplot Ada bindings are implemented as an Ada library. We use CMake to
build that library and also build our 14 Ada example executables using the
Ada-related CMake compiler files in the cmake/modules directory that is
referred to below. The required linking of Ada examples to our Ada library
and Ada library to our C library goes smoothly with CMake on Linux, Mac OS
X, _and_ MinGW.  (The last two platforms are second-hand reports, but from
reliable PLplot developers.) We have had no Cygwin or "raw" windows (windows
without MinGW or Cygwin) testing.

AC (or anybody else interested in building Ada executables and libraries
with CMake), if you have access to a gnat compiler (GNU gnat preferred since
that is what we have tested so far), just follow what we do in our svn trunk
(http://plplot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/plplot/trunk/), and you should be
okay for linking Ada executables to Ada libraries.  Look for Ada-related
items in the following directories: cmake/modules (CMake Ada language files
and overall Ada setup), bindings/ada (for building the Ada library),
examples/ada (for building the examples), and test (to execute the built Ada
examples [and many others] as ctest tests).

So AN, that is the status report.  Furthermore, to answer the question
behind your question, I have not checked any of our Ada language support
files into CMake CVS because I have been distracted by several other higher
priorities.  I do plan to get to it eventually, but meanwhile, everybody is
welcome to use the PLplot svn to access the Ada language support files
for CMake.

[Alexander Camek continued]
> Because when it is the plan to use it with CMake, then there will be a
> problem for using dlls under Windows.

That is not correct in the MinGW case.  All we can say for the Cygwin and
raw windows cases is they are untested, but the good report for MinGW is
certainly a positive indication for those other windows platforms.

AC, to pursue the Ada on windows question further, I suggest you first put
together a simple example following what we do above and confirm it works
for MinGW. (I will be happy to run the simple test on my Linux platform as
well.) Once you have confidence from such a simple test for MinGW (and
Linux), then it would be valuable to run the simple test on the other
windows platforms to actually see how the current CMake Ada language support
works in those cases.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).