[CMake] disabling the cache

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Nov 7 15:42:38 EST 2007

Jesper Eskilson wrote:
> KSpam wrote:
>
>> If you run the ZERO_CHECK target, CMake will generate the new project
>> files without building everything.  Following ZERO_CHECK, Visual
>> Studio would have to reload the projects, and then you could build
>> like normal.  This makes building in Visual Studio essentially a
>> two-step process.
>
> Good to know. I'll relay this to my users; I think many of them use a
> rather convoluted way of running CMake outside of Visual Studio.

So, I did look at how to fix this some.  I have a c# program that can
force a running visual studio process to close and reload the solution
it has.  The idea would be to have cmake run this when cmake is run as
part of the build.  However, visual studio has a neat trick of killing
all processes launched as part of a build.  So, what happens is the
reload c# program closes the solution, and VS kills it before it can
reload the project.  The only way around this is to run some sort of
cmake IDE VS reload server, that cmake can contact and ask it to force a
reload.  Does this sound worth while?  It could also unload/load, and
build.  However, I am not sure we want to restart the build.

-Bill