[CMake] Configuring for MSVC

Thomas Sharpless tksharpless at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:13:06 EDT 2007

Hi cmakers,

Thanks to 3 of you for enlightening me on all 3 newby questions in < 24
hours.  Now a few more.

How can I be sure we are building on Windows?

How can I best tell what Windows toolset we are using, and distinguish
between Microsoft VC6, VC7/2003, VC8/2005 or ???/2008 and Visual Studio
versus  nmake?  I know cmake knows all that.

What is the best way to ensure that release and debug targets get the
appropriate link libraries?  Does cmake have a policy for this?

Is there any support for checking that the set of runtime libraries to be
used is consistent?  Specifically, can I scan the linker directives in
prebuilt static libraries?

Thanks in advance, Tom