[CMake] improve the CMake language?

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Nov 2 14:01:42 EDT 2007

I have looked at incorporating Lua into CMake as an alternate language. Lua
because it is designed to be embedded into projects as a language, not a
toolkit and it is tiny and well documented, so adding it to the CMake tree
would be a no brainer. Things like Python, Tcl, Java etc are much larger and
tend to drag in a lot of extra things a language does not need. (I think I
have a CMake tree lying around that includes Lua and links it in) Having
said that, even though CMake has a pretty clean divide between
commands/language and the rest of the work, it is still a fairly big task.
The easiest solution being to support both languages (CMake plus Lua) so
that all the Modules and Platform files can continue to be used. Having said
all this it is a low priority for me as I am still not sure of the
practicality and net benefits of it. etc.

Ken

Ken Martin PhD
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive