[CMake] [Dev] CMake 2.5-20070519 and tool chain support

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon May 28 12:48:06 EDT 2007

On 2007-05-28 16:53+0100 Trevor Kellaway wrote:

> Alan,
>
>>> I thought this was changed some time ago...
>>> YOu are right, we'll have a look why it works this way.
>>
>> See bug 4896
>> (http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=4896) for a
>> simple example of the issue of different behaviour for -D
>> options depending on whether the type is specified or not.
>> Personally, I think the solution is to assign a default type
>> if none is specified with the -D command.  ON or OFF gets
>> BOOL everything else is STRING.
>
> Thanks. I dimly remembered you posted something on this.
>
> Also, you posted an issue with "IF ()" as well, I've recently discovered
> that "IF ()" tests for boolean macro arguments don't seem to work, if
> you assign it to another variable within the macro then it does work.
> Have you come across this? If not I'll raise a bug report.

I cannot remember that issue.  Also, I checked my bug reports, and I cannot
find anything relevant.

Are you sure it is an issue?  Usual advice; post the simplest possible
example so it is easy for anybody to replicate.

BTW, I had had only one user express dissatisfaction with the new PLplot
CMake-based build system.  His complete focus was the lack of cross-compile
support with CMake as compared to autotools.  Thus, I suspect he may have
just been repeating an anti-CMake rant rather than being serious about
wanting to cross-compile PLplot. Nevertheless, I am really happy you and
Alex are working so hard on the CMake cross-compile issues which is
apparently one of the few weakness of CMake compared to autotools.  (The
only other one I can think of at this time is Fortran.)

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).