[CMake] Creating project distribution using cpack.

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:20:34 EDT 2007

2007/5/8, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>:
> Rob Mathews wrote:
> > That's easy. In CMake.cxx, in or around line 2310-2317
> >
> > /*
> > I don't need this and CMake can't find it (even though I installed
> > correctly).
> >   if (!cmSystemTools::FileExists(this->CPackCommand.c_str()))
> >     {
> >     cmSystemTools::Error("Cannot find the CPack executable");
> >     this->CPackCommand = "CPACK-COMMAND-NOT-FOUND";
> >     }
> > */
> >
> > I've read what CPack does, and our development environment has a
> > different way of doing that, so I don't need it and don't want to force
> > all of our developers to install it.
> >
> > Hence the comment. And I can tell from the code that isn't a switch to
> > turn it off.
> >
> OK, then, I would say that it was not installed correctly or the sources
> have been modified in some way that breaks this.  If you build stock
> CMake, I have never seen it not find cpack.

Neither do I and I am a big fan of cmake+cpack features.

> On the other hand, since
> cpack/cmake/ctest are meant to be a family of tools, it is unlikely that
> this change will make it into the CVS for CMake.  As, not having it when
> it is supposed to be there is a symptom of some other problem.

But here I must say I disagree.
>From my point of view it is a dangerous path to link
CMake/CTest/CPack together unless there is something I miss.

Personnally I don't want to pay for something I don't need or simply wan't.

CMake is a perfect tool on its own
As far as I know CPack and CTest depends on CMake but why
should CMake depends on CPack or CTest?

Please take my opinion as a wish EVEN IF I AM USING CMake+CPack
(CTest is coming soon).

But the day I found something "better" or "more suited to my needs"
which may replace CPack/CTest and I will certainly be angry if I should
keep CPack/CTest installed if I don't need it.

I know that CMake/CTest/CPack are provided together but I don't
think it would be a good design choice to enforce dependency unless
it is really needed.

My 2 cents.

Nevertheless long life to CMake/CTest/CPack :))
--
Erk