[CMake] regarding adding first-class RPM and DPKG support toCPack

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Thu Mar 15 21:31:55 EST 2007

gga wrote:
> Philip Lowman wrote:
>> I gave some thought towards working on adding first-class RPM and DPKG
>> support to CPack tonight.  I was just wondering if anyone has toyed
>> around with this idea as of late or if this is something that the CMake
>> project would even be interested in adding.  Obviously, I'm just talking
>> binary package support at this point.
>
> You might want to take a look at epm (aka. esp):
> www.easysw.com/epm/
>
> It may be easier to have cmake spit out a file that utility can read
> rather than you coding all the subtleties of rpm/deb.

I had never heard of EPM, thanks for pointing it out.

I'll have to give it some thought and toy around with some stuff and see
how involved this could get before doing anything...

My original plan was to implement CPack generators that would create the
vendor specific files and then use vendor supplied tools to actually
generate the package.  Implementing the RPM and DPKG file formats myself
is obviously overkill.  I could consider using libraries for this but
that introduces additional dependencies on CMake.

--
Philip Lowman
Simulation Development Engineer, Modeling and Simulation Technology