[CMake] CMake and profiling...

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 17:08:23 EST 2007

Asmodehn Shade wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently in the process of starting to profile my software.
> It builds with cmake on unix, linux, and windows, more or less nicely ;)
> Assuming that I only want to use g++ with gprof right now, I wonder if there was a way to do that smartly in CMake,
> other than resetting the CXX_FLAGS and LINKER_FLAGS around all my CMakeLists.txt...

You need to clean up your CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS and so forth so they are set
in 1 user controllable place.

> Is there already some functions handling that in CMake ?

Not for profiling.  Not for optimization either, other than "Release"
giving you sane defaults.  Nothing for CPU architecture specification
either.

> - should I handle every profiler on different platform myself with some custom FindProfiler UseProfiler and so on ?

Do you actually need to profile on all platforms, or is this
theoretical?  If it's theoretical, I'd say skip the busywork.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every