[CMake] Ada and CMake

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Mar 5 11:01:46 EST 2007

On 2007-03-02 12:19-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> So how does Fortran (and C, and C++) avoid the TRY_COMPILE infinite
> recursion?  Whatever it is, I have obviously missed it for my experimental
> Ada language support or some core change needs to be made to CMake itself.

Another possibility is there is some fundamental difference between the
first and second forms of TRY_COMPILE so that the second form avoids the
infinite recursion while the first one does not.  An earlier version of
my Ada support simply did a compile test with gcc -c with the second
TRY_COMPILE form, and that did not have the infinite recursion problem
encountered when I attempt to use the first form of TRY_COMPILE with
a full compile+bind+link test with gnatmake.

Anyhow, with the gnatmake test, the first form of TRY_COMPILE is required,
and so far I have not been able to figure out how to avoid the infinite
TRY_COMPILE issue with that form.  Thus, I would really appreciate an
answer for how that issue is avoided for the second TRY_COMPILE form
for C, C++, Fortran, and a compile-only Ada test.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).