[CMake] FAQ update for renaming a library

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Mar 2 13:18:57 EST 2007

On 2007-03-02 10:03-0800 Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I am questioning the relevance or clarity of this FAQ entry:
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#How_do_I_rename_a_library_that_has_already_been_built.3F
> This looks like some kind of historical hack-around.  I don't think we want
> to be telling people to rename libraries.  Rather, we should be telling them
> how to generate targets with different OUTPUT_NAMEs, prefixes, postfixes,
> etc.
>
> I will make necessary changes / slaughterings if we agree the stuff about
> renaming should go away.

That area is obviously a mess because people have been too polite and left
the old cruft in.  If your complete rewrite makes it worse (highly
doubtful), then it can always be reverted.  So I think you should just go
ahead with your rewrite, and see how people like your new version.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).