[CMake] Creating some kind of release target

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Mar 1 11:04:12 EST 2007

On 2007-03-01 15:25+0100 Timo Rumland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently created a new buildsystem for our project with CMake, and I
> like it much.
>
> Now I have to do some kind of release target, so we can pack a release
> version of our project for distributing it over sourceforge.
>
> What I need is a new build target named "release", when I build this
> ("make release" or building the target "release" in Visual Studio),
> all the sources will be zipped/tar.gz, so we can easily upload it to
> sourceforge.
>
> Is this possible with CMake? Or is there another way how it's usually
> done?

Both source and binary releases are possible with the companion cpack
programme which you can configure via cmake.  For fundamental information
see http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Packaging_With_CPack.  For a working
example, see the top-level CMakeLists.txt file from the CMake software
itself (or the PLplot software).  After such a cmake setup, then you create a
source release and binary release with the

make package_source

and

make package

commands.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).