[CMake] Visual Studio generator missing

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Jun 25 14:47:11 EDT 2007

Joshua Jensen wrote:
> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> Kovarththanan Rajaratnam wrote:
>>> To compare things, I've downloaded the Windows version and it seems
>>> to list all the Visual Studio generators. Would I have to compile my
>>> own version of CMake under Cygwin? If so, do I need to pass special
>>> parameters to ensure that the Visual Studio generators are included?
>> Unfortunately, because of the cygwin library the cygwin cmake is a
>> different binary than the windows binary.   The main technical reason
>> for this is the cygwin path stuff, like /cygdrive and other mount
>> points.   There are license issues as well.    The windows cygwin
>> maybe right for you if you want both.  The Unix Makefiles generator
>> should work for the cygwin gcc.
> What are the license issues?
GPL stuff with the cygwin dll.  Also, you are not allowed to have
executables that use MFC that are part of the cygwin distribution, so
CMakeSetup can not be part of that package.   It really is more of a
technical issue.   The windows binary can not understand cygwin paths,
and the cygwin binary can not have CMakeSetup, so there has to be two of
them.

-Bill