[CMake] Visual Studio generator missing

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Sun Jun 24 22:27:16 EDT 2007

Kovarththanan Rajaratnam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed CMake v2.4-patch 6 in Cygwin to test the Visual
> Studio generator. However, I've noticed that when I run CMake I only
> get the following generators as an option:
>
> - KDevelop3
> - Unix Makefiles
>
> To compare things, I've downloaded the Windows version and it seems to
> list all the Visual Studio generators. Would I have to compile my own
> version of CMake under Cygwin? If so, do I need to pass special
> parameters to ensure that the Visual Studio generators are included?

Unfortunately, because of the cygwin library the cygwin cmake is a
different binary than the windows binary.   The main technical reason
for this is the cygwin path stuff, like /cygdrive and other mount
points.   There are license issues as well.    The windows cygwin maybe
right for you if you want both.  The Unix Makefiles generator should
work for the cygwin gcc.

-Bill