[CMake] Documentation strategy

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:46:04 EDT 2007

On 6/20/07, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > Also, students and other sorts of open source cheapskates do not buy
> > books.
>
> As a graduate student who knows a lot of other students (both graduate
> and undergraduate), I can't accept this claim.  Between me and my
> officemates, we probably have upwards of $5k in books we've purchased
> with our own money on the office bookshelf.

Well then get "Mastering CMake" into the university bookstores and see
if it sells.

I'll  wager that at the undergrad level, between CMake and beer, beer
wins.  The problem is that almost nobody perceives CMake as a vital
career move.  Who intends to be a build engineer?  People try to be
web designers, or game developers, or compiler experts for their
language courses.  Amongst your grad friends, how many of them have a
book on any kind of Make system?

> Admittedly, the purchasing habits of graduate students may be different
> from the purchasing habits of undergraduates, but even the
> undergraduates in the department tend to buy books fairly frequently.

They have to.  They're required for their courses.  They're also
spending their parents' money.  They spend their own money on beer.
Unless it's for something really really cool, like game programing.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every