[CMake] Documentation strategy

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu Jun 21 08:38:38 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 21:09, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > No, they were planning to port huge chunks of libraries to Windows.
>
> Yes, exactly.  Please note that "planning to port huge chunks of
> libraries to Windows" means they were not yet ported to Windows.  It was
> a UNIX-only project.  They were not maintaining "horrible hand rolled
> Visual Studio builds".

The top 5 reasons why KDE switched to cmake:
5.) autotools doesn't support MSVC
4.) scons didn't provide a good "configure" framework
3.) both autotools and scons had problems on OSX
2.) we got very good support from the cmake developers

and the number one reason:
1.) only a handful of people understood the KDE autotools system and
 even these people didn't like it and wrote their own (unsermake)

and of course, cmake (basically) just worked (we found some bugs in the
process, which were fixed then).

Alex