[CMake] FILE command in make_custom_target

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 17:52:42 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Philippe Fremy <phil at freehackers.org> wrote:

> It is ironic that a running cmake instance, that supports platform
> agnostic directory creation, is not able to do that inside a rule and
> has to fallback an calling a second cmake instance for that.

I agree.  However, I've come to accept that CMake is an "in practice"
architecture, that evolved in the real world.  This is a corner of
CMake's design that is not perfect.  On the other hand, it's not a
dealbreaker and it's still way better than Autoconf.  I think Kitware
does an excellent job of improving and evolving CMake.  It's
definitely an in-practice implementation problem, to get a
cross-platform build system done.

The VERBATIM instruction arose from me pushing hard at the limits of
command line quoting stuff.    Or at least, I got a really impressive
response from Brad King on that issue.  Perhaps others had run into a
similar need.  Anyways, he did a really good job dealing with it.  I
think that anything that is truly objectionable in CMake, ends up
affecting a lot of people, and gets dealt with.

You could formulate a feature request in the bug tracker, or see if a
related one already exists.  Sometimes that's the match that starts
the fire.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every