[CMake] Creating static executables

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Jun 9 10:31:52 EDT 2007

On 2007-06-09 10:22+0400 Nikita V. Borodikhin wrote:

>> I frankly don't understand why that failed to work.  Completely static
>> executables are possible with cmake. I know this because I made one several
>> months ago as a temporary experiment.
>
> They _were_ possible but on cmake >= 2.4.4 they are no longer possible
> without setting some variables in CMakeLists.txt (not command line!).
>
> Details: http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=5087&pos=13

Ouch!  That issue is perhaps not something that most Linux users will run
into every day (very few build static executables any more), but static
builds are really fundamental.  Therefore, for the reputation of CMake, I
hope a CMake developer will be able to fix bug 5087 before 2.4.7.  This should
not take much time since it looks like Nikita has pinpointed where the
error occurs in his bug report.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).