[CMake] C# support again

Joshua Jensen jjensen at workspacewhiz.com
Sat Jun 9 02:44:34 EDT 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Joshua Jensen <jjensen at workspacewhiz.com> wrote:
>> So, for fun, I was trying to implement C# support through some extra
>> .cmake files.
> It would be good to get a wiki page up about C# issues, so there's
> some stickiness to various people's efforts.  When I apply for game
> development jobs, I typically bug them about CMake.  They often ask
> "does it handle C# ?"  PC and console game developers tend to use C or
> C++ for the fast stuff, but they often use C# for GUI-driven
> production tools that can afford to be slow.
>
> I'm too tired to do this right now.  Perhaps someone else is more
> awake and doesn't mind adding a wiki page.
Frankly, I'm ready to just dive in and add the support to the Visual
Studio project generators, mirroring much of the C++ support.  I'd
actually only do the Visual Studio 2005 MSBuild support and MAYBE
VS2003, but it would lay the basis for other ports.  I haven't run into
the "does it handle C#" issue yet, but I know I'm going to.  I like
CMake too much to have to throw it out for that reason.

My only concern is maintaining a fork to do this.  I already have a
forked CMake with various fixes to the Visual Studio and Xcode support.
Despite increasing usability in these environments, the interest level
in my patches thus far seems virtually non-existent.  I also have CMake
in another source control system, so I can actually commit my changes.
While I'm very much a centralized source control repository guy (all I
use day to day and absolutely necessary for games industry products with
their huge amounts of content and such), a project like CMake could
benefit from a decentralized setup like Mercurial.  Or rather, at least
_I_ could, so I could easily grab from the remote repository, create
branches, make changes, commit, and so on.

Josh