[CMake] moving project folder

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:04:13 EDT 2007

On 6/8/07, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> Do *not* distribute CMakeCache.txt. It simply will not work. CMake must be
> run against CMakeLists.txt to produce CMakeCache.txt (and all the rest of
> the initial binary tree) on each target build machine...

I'm pinging bug #3676 about this.  I think this thread is evidence of
why a Table Of Contents is desireable for the documentation, and why
integrating FAQ material in the docs is also desireable.  You can't
get CMake's theory of operation from reading cmake.html.  You can get
some of it from reading the FAQ, but the presentation is piecemeal,
and the FAQ doesn't ship with CMake itself.  There's a link to the FAQ
at the end of the docs.  This is good for Unix man pages, and goes
completely unnoticed in cmake.html.  Even if the FAQ remained external
to the docs, a TOC would make it much easier to figure out where the
FAQ is.

GNU Autoconf may be an awful tool to work with, but in one respect it
is far superior to CMake.  The documentation is really first class.
There's abundant, Chapter-driven explanation of how to use it, and
extensive examples of how to work around Autoconf's limitations.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every