[CMake] cmake locks when parsing a fortran file ending with a comment and not end-of-line

Arjen Markus arjen.markus at wldelft.nl
Wed Jun 6 02:16:07 EDT 2007

lucatrv wrote:

> As the subject says, I found that cmake locks when parsing a file
> ending with a comment and without an end-of-line character. At least
> this happens with fortran files, but I suspect it could happen also
> with other languages (though I've not tested it).
> However, I send enclosed a simple fortran code file which reproduce
> the bug.
> Of course, under linux it is sufficient to open the file and resave it
> to correct the problem (then you can use diff to understand that the
> only difference is that the file was added with an end-of-line
> character).
> However, under windows, many editors don't care of adding an
> end-of-line character at the end of edited files (and in particular MS
> visual studio doen't do), so many projects can have such files, and I
> think cmake should be able to parse them.
>
> Luca
> PROGRAM TEST
>    PRINT *, TEST
> END ! comment

Do you know if this due to the missing end-of-line at the end? Or is it
connected to the comment?

I have always found that behaviour of text editors very annoying,
because at least some programming languages
have trouble reading files which end so abruptly (after all: it is
called an end-of-line character, not a line-separator
character and with this behaviour there is no way of telling the
difference between a truncated file and an ordinary
file).

Regards,

Arjen