[CMake] what to download for Linux??

Oliver Kullmann O.Kullmann at swansea.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 14:50:01 EDT 2007

Hello,

I want to build cmake from the sources, on
a Linux platform. Now it seems I have the choice
between

cmake-2.4.6-Linux-i386.tar.gz

and

cmake-2.4.6.tar.gz

??

Intuitively, I would go for the second choice
(called "Unix Linefeed Source", where I have
no clue what the "Linefeed" stands for), since
Unix normally includes Linux, and a generic name
like "cmake-2.4.6.tar.gz" is similar to for example
the gcc- or doxygen-packages-names.

However what then is that Linux-package good for??
I know that "i386" stands for some architecture,
but I don't know whether my platforms are such or not,
and I also expect the build process to find out
on its own, without me having to specify this
implementation detail?? (When building gcc, or, say,
make, it does not bother the user with such details.)

I have purchased the book, but neither there nor on
the web page anything is said about which package
to use when (just "follow the instructions", but there
are none). I couldn't make good use of the search functions
for the e-mail lists neither (always end up with some
google search).

Any hint would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver