[CMake] Adding a cmake makefile dependency

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 12:14:29 EDT 2007

On 7/29/07, Daniel <daniel at connect2.com> wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >> The custom command would run cmake with the same arguments as in
> >> cmake_check_build_system, but this seems like an ugly hack.
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest a better way to do this?
> >
> > Yes.  Quit trying to solve this problem and accept that you need to
> > manually list your program files in CMakeLists.txt.  It's a non-issue
> > once your project structure stabilizes.
> >

> This would work, but for our team adding the source file into the Visual Studio
> project is our way of listing the program files, I would rather it didn't take
> us two steps to do this.  I do concede that it is not such a big deal to just
> list the source files manually, but others working on the project feel differently.

Then I would say your team hasn't embraced cross-platform development
yet, and you need to work on the politics of that.  If you're doing
Unix and Mac development also, then it's silly to put MSVC in a
paramount position.  On the other hand, I do realize that some shops
use CMake simply to keep all the different versions of MSVC straight,
so the politics are different if you're Windows-only developers.  It's
difficult to justify dancing around MSVC in a truly cross-platform
context though.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every