[CMake] Adding a cmake makefile dependency

Daniel daniel at connect2.com
Sat Jul 28 01:02:11 EDT 2007

I am using CMake to build MinGW Makefiles in Windows and using Visual Studio to
develop and build from.  In my CMakeLists.txt files, I use file globbing to
create the list of source files.  The problem with this is that CMake cannot
tell when I add or remove source files to know that it needs to rerun CMake.

One idea I had was to try and use the .vcproj files, which are updated whenever
you add or remove a file, as dependencies that would trigger cmake to run again
if they change.

It seems that CMake creates a target that runs CMake with the
--check-build-system argument against the files in CMakeFiles/Makefile.cmake,
where CMAKE_MAKEFILE_DEPENDS is set to the files that when changed will trigger
CMake to rerun.  Unfortunately I cannot find a way to add to this file in my
CMakeLists.txt files.  One way I could fix this is to generate a whole new file
and create a custom command and target and set all the other targets to depend
on it.  The custom command would run cmake with the same arguments as in
cmake_check_build_system, but this seems like an ugly hack.

Can anyone suggest a better way to do this?
--
Daniel