[CMake] Call for Module maintainer volunteers

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Jul 25 11:56:30 EDT 2007

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As co-author (with Jan Woetzel) of the FindwxWidgets I'd be happy to
> maintain it.
>
> I also recently made changes to the FindLATEX and FindImageMagick in
> my local repository. I'd be happy to apply the changes if accepted by
> the list and maintain the modules.
>
> I like this idea, but I have a couple of suggestions/questions:
>
> 1. Given the cross-platform nature of these modules, in many cases a
> recruiter for at least the Unix, Win32, and MacOS platforms should be
> maintaining the module... Of course, this will be hard to find so what
> would be the process for a maintainer to apply patches to platforms he
> doesn't know or have access to? Ask in the list or just blindly apply
> patches submitted to those platforms?
Or you could just ignore them like we are currently doing for all of
them.  :-)
I think the maintainer would have to use judgment and enlist the help
of people on the list for testing things on different platforms.   They can
at a minimum make sure that the changes made do not break things for
the platforms they know about.

Along those lines it would be nice to set up tests for the modules at
some point.   But first things first, there are a lot of good patches that
are wasting away in the bug tracker now.   I would like get that resolved
first.

To keep track of who has signed up for what, I have started:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Module_Maintainers

> 2. Now that more people are likely to be applying changes to different
> modules, more effort should be put to standardizing the naming
> conventions and interface. Also, I would vote for a coordinated
> deprecation system so that the modules can all evolve to this
> standard.
>
> This is related to my previous posting
> (http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2007-July/015168.html).
I think we are going to stick with the upper case convention in the current
readme.txt file.  It would be too much of a backwards compatibility
nightmare
to change it now.

-Bill