[CMake] Why can't I change bug #4912 ?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Jul 20 22:08:40 EDT 2007

On 2007-07-20 21:12-0400 David Cole wrote:

> As an anti-"spam in the bug database" measure, only the reporter and the
> owner of a bug are now allowed to change existing bugs... This was
> implemented this week. Send email to the owner of the bug directly with the
> new information.

Have a lot of different spammers actually established accounts, logged in
and persistently put spam in a lot of different bug reports?  Or is this
some rare or hypothetical possibility that you are trying to guard against?
I would think that would be an extremely rare occurrence which is easily
fought off by removing the account for any idiot that does that.  You could
also introduce a better rate limiting policy where you block (say for 24
hours) any account that commented on more than N "foreign" bug reports per
day where N is some reasonable number (say 10) which a legitimate user
should never exceed.

What you have done is an extreme policy change that removes a lot of value
from your bug reporting system.  I have benefited from bug reports with
multiple comments by a variety of users, and I am sure others have as well.
You are now making that possibility much more difficult. Also your policy
change is ineffective since limiting the ability of users to post remarks on
bugs they don't own doesn't stop some idiot taking the trouble to get an
account with you and then using that privilege to generate 1000 different
new bug reports that were filled with spam.

In sum, your current rate limit of zero is unreasonable.  I think raising it
to something reasonable (such as ~10 comments per day on bugs you don't own)
would discourage spammers without impacting your legitimate users.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).