[CMake] Re: 'make dist' like target

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Jul 15 12:53:56 EDT 2007

On 2006-11-16 07:44-0500 Andy Cedilnik wrote:

> Ok, in CPack you can specify what files you want to copy. It is a bit
> of a hard process and since most of our CVS repositories are fairly
> clean I never thought of that. That said, I can see somebody doing an
> in-source build and then try to make a source TAR. I will document how
> to specify exact files to be copied.

Andy, where did you document that?  I cannot find anything relevant in
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Packaging_With_CPack.

I am resurrecting this old thread because a lot of people have expressed
concern over how the contents of the source distribution are controlled, and
the problem is currently biting me in the butt because I am trying to deal
with a necessarily dirty source tree filled with pdfs (and other files) that
I mostly (but not entirely) want to exclude from the source distribution.
This experience has finally convinced me CPack _does_ need to provide the
ability to select source files with (say) a variable called
CPACK_SOURCE_SELECT_FILES which contains regular expressions for selecting
files which complement the regular expressions for ignoring files in the
existing CPACK_SOURCE_IGNORE_FILES.

Ideally, what I would like is CPACK_SOURCE_SELECT_FILES (or whatever you
want to call it) takes precedence over CPACK_SOURCE_IGNORE_FILES, but if a
part of the source tree is mentioned by neither it gets packed into the
source distribution by default.  With that scheme I could set, e.g.,

set(CPACK_SOURCE_SELECT_FILES "x\\\\.pdf$")
set(CPACK_SOURCE_IGNORE_FILES "\\\\.pdf$")

to conveniently select x.pdf and the remaining non-pdf part of the source
tree to be included in the source distribution while excluding all other
pdfs from that distribution. Without the CPACK_SOURCE_SELECT_FILES facility
I have to name _every_ separate pdf file I want to exclude from the source
tree.  This issue (a few files selected of a particular kind, but the rest
generally rejected for source distribuiton) is repeated again and again for
other files that are in my source tree so my CPACK_SOURCE_IGNORE_FILES list
is probably going to run to many hundreds of lines.  Having a
CPACK_SOURCE_SELECT_FILES facility implemented as explained above would very
much shorten this list.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).