[CMake] Bugs in cmake-2.4.6, please solve for 2.4.7

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Mon Jul 9 17:41:45 EDT 2007

Am Montag 09 Juli 2007 23:32 schrieb Alan W. Irwin:
> On 2007-07-09 22:03+0200 Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> >> Where to install your own pkgconfig files ?
> >> I think you have to decide this yourself, probably in most cases to
> >> DESTINATION share/pkgconfig/.
> >> Can you please explain a bit more what you'd like to have ?
> >
> > The pkg-config manpage lists several directories in PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
> > conditionally overriden by PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR. If the latter is set,
> > installing to one in PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR might be more feasable.
> > Or is "share/pkgconfig" always the right choice?
>
> For what it is worth, Debian (sarge) and Ubuntu (Dapper) appear to store
> them in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.  I am not aware of the reason for this Debian
> policy decision or whether the policcy has been updated for more recent
> versions of Debian/Ubuntu.

That's why I ask. A global configuration option for such a path would make it
a common configuration option among all software packages.
And it would make it easier for the distribution packagers.

I find /usr/lib/pkgconfig more logical, too, as the .pc file belong to the
library and /usr/lib might be shared among the systems with the same arch
while /usr/share might be shared among systems even with a different arch.

pkg-config searches in both by default. On Windows, this doesn't matter.

HS