[CMake] good open source IDE

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:07:28 EDT 2007

I use Eclipse with CDT (on OS X) using CMake to generate the
makefiles. Eclipse does a pretty good job of this. You can specify
what makefile to use (if you use an "embedded" build directory like I
suggest in the Wiki), you can specify what style of code formatting
to use ( or make up your own rules), the new syntax highlighting is
just awesome (if you like that sort of thing), the indexer (which is
responsible for the code completion) is orders of magnitude better
than the previous CDT Version (4.0 version 3.1.2) and Eclipse 3.3
platform over all is faster than the previous versions:

Note: I have not tried Eclipse with a really large project, something
like VTK or ParaView or Qt although I have projects that _use_ those
toolkits and the indexer does not seem to have a problem with them.

CMake/Eclipse Wiki:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Editors_Support  ( I wrote the short
tutorial on cmake / eclipse. If there is something that is not clear,
_please_ ask _before_ giving up)

Eclipse/CDT download:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/
downloads/release/20070628/eclipse-cpp-europa-win32.zip

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/  ( The main download site ). I am
not sure about Eclipse on Windows. I think you may have to have MinGW
already installed.

This project is trying to put together a combined Eclipse/CDT/MinGW/
JRE installer for Windows. One of the Lead Developers for the CDT
project is the lead on this project as well.

http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com/2007/06/introducing-cdt-for-windows.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdt-windows

Hope some of this helps
--