[CMake] Visual Studio and Reloading Projects

Bill Napier Bill.Napier at hillcrestlabs.com
Tue Feb 20 18:26:45 EST 2007

We're currently using CMake to build a very modular project.  We have
lots of little projects that generate little libraries that end up
getting linked together into one application.  It's really nice on UNIX
when you change a CMakeLists.txt, CMake rebuilds everything and it just
works.

We also build the same application under Widnows using Visual Studio
2005. The Visual Studio Generator does the same thing that UNIX one does
when a CMakeLists.txt changes: it re-generates all the VS project files.
The problem is if you do this while Visual Studio is open, you'll get a
dialog box prompting you to reload every project in your solution.  We
have close to 50 projects and this is a lot of reloading.

Currently, our process is to close the solution in Visual Studio and
force CMake to run.  But of course you don't always remember to do
that...

So my (kind of off-topic) question is: How can I make this process less
painful?  Does anyone know of any MSVC plugins that will auto-reload
changed projects?  Or is there a configuration option I'm missing
somewhere?

Thanks,

Bill Napier