[CMake] Re: IDE directly supporting CMakeLists.txt?

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Feb 7 06:25:46 EST 2007

Hi,

Von: "wedekind" <wedekind at caesar.de>

> @Alex: I'm totally with you, when you say you wouldn't try to squeeze
> CMake's expressive power into a GUI. The main intention for me to see a
> better support of CMakeLists.txt in an IDE is that I want to see the
> changes
> made to a CMakeLists.txt file immediately in the IDE. E.g. if I add a
> file to the CMakeLists.txt-file it should be added immediately to the
> file-list in the IDE too. Otherwise I would have to "build" the project
> first to update the IDE's view of the project from the CMake files. I
> guess the IDE would have to actively monitor its CMakeLists.txt files
> then to instantly update its view of the project.

This means the IDE has to monitor all cmake files it depends on, i.e. not only the CMakeLists.txt, but also all INCLUDE() files and actually also all used FIND_PACKAGE() modules. For this it has to get the dependencies from CMake. That should be possible, but needs some work.

> This is the essence of
> what I mean by "direct support of CMakeLists.txt by an IDE". IMO it
> would avoid an unintuitive workflow when using CMake with an IDE.
>
> So maybe a "hybrid" approach would do. On the one hand an IDE should
> actively monitor changes on CMakeLists.txt files and update itself
> accordingly (maybe calling cmake on them afterwards without unnerving
> message boxes or other useless interaction).

> On the other hand some
> simple GUI could be used to change "key=value"-options, like ccmake or
> CMakeSetup does at the moment.

A small shared lib which exports such a widget should be possible I think.

Bye
Alex