[CMake] Re: IDE directly supporting CMakeLists.txt?

wedekind wedekind at caesar.de
Tue Feb 6 11:17:05 EST 2007

Hello all,

thanks for your hints. Well, ok, I could use any IDE that can be configured
to run any command as its build command. So a text editor will do generally.

But this is not exactly what I want. I'm looking for an IDE that supports
the CMakeLists.txt such that it interprets them and translates them into a
GUI-dialog for build configuration. Maybe an example will clarify the reason
behind it:

Say you are working with CMake-generated VisualStudio project files. If you
want to add a file, you cannot use the IDE for it. I.e. you cannot
drag-and-drop it on your IDE or add it via a context dialog. You need to add
the new file to your CMakeLists.txt and this change will be realized in the
IDE the next time you build (and reload) your project.

You can do that with a little discipline, but there is of course a source of
error (and little annoyance) if you cannot use the IDE as usual with
CMake-generated build-files. It would be really cool, if you could make
changes to the build config with your IDE and they are reflected in the
CMakeLists.txt. At best the IDE would be cross-platform ;)

I know that this is out-of-scope for CMake, but maybe one of you knows about
attempts in this direction?

Cheers

Marco