[CMake] CMake and Doxygen documentation

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Feb 5 21:56:43 EST 2007

On 2007-02-05 20:04+0100 Eric Noulard wrote:

> 2007/2/5, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca>:
>> Browse the subversion repository of libLASi project at
>> http://lasi.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lasi/trunk/.

>> [...]One nasty complication is the "INSTALL(DIRECTORY ..." pattern we use to
>> install the doxygen-generated results demands that the directory doc be
>> present at cmake time [....]
>
> Won't a
>
> FILE(MAKE_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/doc)
>
> just after your
>
> if(DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE AND UNIX)
>
> do the job at CMake time?

Thanks, Eric, for that suggestion which works well.  So no more nasty
complications.

> The problem I see with your scheme is that you force
> to generate files "in-source", which looks not so good to me
> (I would go for ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/doc)
> but you must have your reason.

I too am somewhat concerned this messes up the source tree even when a
separate build tree is used.  However, I don't know doxygen that well, and
every time I tried to configure the Doxyfile.* files to work from a separate
build tree, the result seemed substantially different (as revealed by diff
-Naur on the doc subdirectories) than when I built the documentation in the
source tree.  (It wasn't simply a matter of different creation dates, but
there was substantially different html being created, but I cannot remember
the details at this time.) I may eventually figure this out, but the old
autotooled libLASi always built the documents in the source tree so the new
CMake version of libLASi is currently no worse than the old autotools
version in this respect.

Thanks again for pointing out how to create a directory with CMake. I was
looking in the wrong place (cmake -E commands).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).