[CMake] CMake on Linux + Playstation 3 (IBM Cell BE processor)

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 15:19:14 EST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 11:41 AM, Mike Jackson <imikejackson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity more than anything else.. what _doesn't_ work at the
> moment? Does the linux on PS3 have all the common build tools like
> compilers, linkers, make and such?
>
> Can you actually get cmake to build on the PS3 using the bootstrap
> configure file?

I'm not sure what doesn't work, but I know some things that are a
little different form normal when developing Cell/Linux code:

A Cell processor has one PowerPC core, plus 8 "SPE" cores (only 6 are
available on a Playstation 3).  You need a different compiler for each
core type.

Also, there are several different ways that all of that can be linked
together into a single program.

I probably can coax Cmake into handling this, so I may have misspoken
when I asked about making CMake *capable* of building these programs.
I probably should have asked about making it support, out of the box,
the building of such programs using trivially simple CMakeLists.txt
files.