[CMake] Mac installation and cultural issues

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 20:51:00 EST 2007

Well, since I started this whole fire storm I think I will post a
reply. I was trying to make the case for a possibly "better"
installation location based on running OS X for over 7 years. Some
options are good. The current OS X installer used by CMake is fine.
Bill is correct in the fact that they can not get any more "native"
than that. I was only hoping for the "option" to install somewhere
else than the default of /usr/bin. The power uses who understand the
implications of moving cmake to another installation location will
understand we have to adjust our path. Those who do not understand
path issues probably don't care what is placed where, they just want
their app to work as Bill has stated.

      So, as Bill has suggested, allowing for the selection of the
installation location (the default being /usr/bin) would basically
satisfy everyone would be my guess. It would certainly satisfy me.

Sorry for all the noise on this issue but I really thought that it
deserved a bit more discussion.

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer