[CMake] Re: Parsing cmake command line parameters

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Dec 19 09:09:56 EST 2007

Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:
> Bill Hoffman escreveu:
>> will be set.   The real answer is that the command line is a poor
>> interface to cmake projects.  The new QT GUI is a much better way to go.
>
> Don't say that... I think that a command line interface capability
> should be pursued, even if it's non-optimal. God knows if someone have
> to call cmake within a shell script. Presenting a ccmake screen in this
> situation is not acceptable.

I understand that concern as well.  As long as you know what you are
doing the command line can work fine.  We use it all the time for
automated builds.  I am just saying that parsing the whole project to
pull out the options is not going to work.  Having a parallel set of
files that can be read quickly and contain the options for a project is
most likely the best bet.  However, this has been discussed many times
over the years, and I still don't think a good solution has been found.
   Of course, changing the language would not help/hurt/affect this
issue at all...

-Bill