[CMake] Waf build tool

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Dec 15 15:28:29 EST 2007

On 15.12.07 21:14:40, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Saturday 15 December 2007, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > A recent comment of his, regarding KDE's use of CMake:
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.scons.user/15656/focus
> >=15659 "* Cmake scripts are easily readable from IDEs (kdevelop); in reality
> > parsing-writing Cmake scripts
>
> Parsing/writing cmake scripts should not be done by IDEs, except for syntax
> highlighting and autocompletion. I don't see a problem there.

I partly disagree. Putting together a simple app with an IDE and writing
that out to CMake is not a real problem. Of course any "real world" app
is not going to be changeable by any serious IDE, because its far too
complex to do it right. However for beginners learning the CMake
language just to have their first "it works" experience is a bad
requirement and setting the bar higher unnecessarily.

Having a simple GUI to add a lib/app target and a couple of source files
to that and writing a CMakeLists.txt for the result isn't really going
to hurt anybody - IMHO.

Andreas

--
You are a bundle of energy, always on the go.